Letters to Juliet (part 1)

Imagine being able to travel to different places, discovering stories within stories and being able to share it to the world. Wouldn’t it be great? I bet it would. Right now, I am a sophomore taking up Tourism Management and I want to tell you something I’ve been doing for so many years but haven’t given really much thought about; something about writing.

I started writing, and I mean real writing, when I moved to Dubai when I was seven (7) years old. I started by writing everything I feel on a notebook and I read a lot! Thanks to my uncle who has influenced me to read books. Eventually, my vocabulary grew. I then started to write short stories. Stories that are still on paper, and stories that I’ve never actually finished. When I reached high school, I loved my English subject. Not just because of my fondness in literary works, but also because I was greatly inspired by my teacher to write more.  He saw my potential in writing and so I decided to buy a notebook especially for my written outputs. I have written haikus, songs and articles for the school. I was a yearbook content editor, school journalist, and a self-proclaimed writer. It gives me so much pleasure when I am able to produce a great output. Therefore, I decided to push myself even more. I ventured to writing novels. After writing a chapter or two (2), I’d print it out and show it to my English teacher. He would then read it, correct my wrong grammars, revise it, and send them back to me for editing. Every time I finish one, my teacher would say, “you know what, why not look for a company that can publish your works and get paid? You might earn a lot from it!” I have successfully completed writing a lot of novels, but I always say that it's just my hobby and that's it. 

A few weeks ago, my aunt and I had a discussion about what I wanted to do after college. I said I would like to study again as a Diplomatic Affairs student. Believe me or not, but I want to do a lot of things in life. I’m not even sure if and how I can do all those things. I want to learn how to surf, I want to sky dive, I want to swim with the dolphins, I want to horse ride, I want to learn how to bike with two (2) wheels, I want to continue singing, I want to travel around the world, learn about their culture, try different foods, I want to do photography, I want to work in the corporate world, I want to write, and oh dear the list is endless! How am I supposed to do all these things? I would never forget what my aunt told me that day. She said, “Whatever it is, find your passion and do your own gimmick. It’s your life. Do whatever you want! Your passion will lead you to becoming a successful person.” 

It’s 2:57 AM and the reason why I’m writing this is because I can’t sleep and decided to watch a movie. Thank God, I decided to get out of bed, get my laptop, and watch Letters to Juliet. Because maybe, I found the answer that I have been looking for.

I want to travel around the world, discover a lot of things and write about it. I don’t want to be stuck in just one place. I want to explore the different perspectives of life! I am still young. I have a lot of great years ahead of me, I believe.  This is my passion and I’m going to make my own gimmick out of it. I want to share my stories and inspire people. Nothing is impossible.


Instagram:
@infinitelyxam

Twitter:
@julliardeXAM

This article was inspired by the movie, Letters to Juliet.